Tuesday, December 18, 2012

# Christmas # dessert

The Gift of English Toffee


Every year I have to think of something to give to my neighbors and co-workers for Christmas. I always look for something that is cheap, easy to make, doesn't take a lot of time, makes a large amount, and tastes good.

This year we are making English Toffee. It meets ALL my criteria.

ENGLISH TOFFEE

Ingredients:

4 cubes butter
2 cups white sugar
1- 1 1/2 bag milk chocolate chips
3-4 handfuls of chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Directions:

In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add two cups sugar. Stir constantly for about 12 minutes over medium to medium high heat (about a 7 out of 10 on the heat setting, if you have something like that) or until mixture turns a medium brown (like a nice caramel color). It should be at a low boil most of the time.

Pour hot mixture into a lightly greased jelly roll pan (12 1/2" x 17 1/2"). Spread evenly. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of hot mixture and let it sit for a minute or two. Lightly spread the melted chocolate, covering the mixture. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and chill in refrigerator until cool.

Once cool, crack into pieces for serving.





1 comment:

  1. Made this. Loved it. I made 3 batches and the 2nd and 3rd batch I tweaked a little. I put the butter and sugar in the saucepan at the same time and also added 1/4 tsp of salt. I also lined my baking sheet with parchment paper which saved my pan since i was able to lift up the paper and just break it apart. Very good and super easy! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete

Follow us @justonemomtrying

Instagram

Follow Us