Wednesday, October 26, 2011

# crafts # dress up

Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Costume


I love the vintage Strawberry Shortcake with her cute dress and pinafore. Unfortunately the vintage Strawberry Shortcake costumes aren't sold anywhere. I thought it would be fun to have MJ dress up as Strawberry Shortcake and to have Peanut dress up like Custard, her cat. MJ wanted my husband to be Pie Man. If I had more time I would have made a Pie Man apron and hat but I didn't get that far.

I took on this costume project and this is what I came up with. (This was the best picture I could get.)


I sew stuff but not clothes- there's too many directions and curved seams. ;) But, I decided to do it anyway. I made it a size too big because I wasn't sure if she was going really wear it. She wanted to be the Little Mermaid for a little while but I convinced her that if she wore the Strawberry Shortcake costume she could chew some strawberry gum. That did the trick. She was so happy to wear it AND she SMELLED like strawberries. Her white and green striped tights are in the mail. Supposedly they're a popular item EVERYWHERE! Who knew? I think I'm also going to cut the yarn hair a little bit shorter. It looks a little like Raggedy Ann.

All in all it was a success. I have a couple more days to make last minute adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us @justonemomtrying

Instagram

Follow Us