Friday, June 24, 2011

# dessert # indoor dating

Date Night...At Home: APPLE PIE!

It's finally Friday! Hooray! I still look forward to Fridays. Being a mom is a full-time job- no break, no sick days or holidays, and even on the weekends- but at least my hubby is home to help out for 2 whole days on the weekend. I also look forward to Fridays because I usually get to hang out with my husband.

Tonight for dating at home, we will be making an easy, but delicious, apple pie! I figure that:

1. It's my husband's favorite, and
2. It gets me into the 4th of July mood- nothing says "America" and "Freedom" like an apple pie.

We like to cook and bake together and wish we could do it more often. So, here's to date night!


Apple Pie

What’s more American?

Ingredients:


10-12 apples of choice (I like to do a medley- green, yellow, red)

juice of 1 lemon

1/2 cup sugar

cinnamon (my husband loves to add lots of cinnamon)

1/4 flour

4 Tbsp butter

1 tsp. salt

1 egg white

Ready made pie crust

Directions:


  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Prepare pie crust and place bottom crust in pie dish.
  3. Peel and core apples. Cut apples into chunks, not slices.
  4. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and add the apples. Mix well.
  5. Pour the apples into the prepared pie crust. It will be A LOT of apples to fit into a small dish but trust me, it will be awesome.
  6. Cut butter into chunks and scatter the chunks on top of the pile of apples. Pour lemon juice on top of your heaping mound of apples.
  7. Cover your mountain of apples with the top crust. Pinch both crusts together.
  8. Brush the top crust with the egg white and sprinkle with sugar (and cinnamon if you’d like)
  9. Bake about 45-60 minutes. Put foil around the edges of the crust after the edges begin to brown to prevent them from burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us @justonemomtrying

Instagram

Follow Us